14 February 2008

Berlinale Film Festival 2008


It's rare for Madonna to do photocalls, but this was her first outing as a film director (which was subsequently panned and then went straight to video). Nevertheless, it was a good opportunity to get a clear portrait. I was sat on the front row of the photographer's podium, right in front of her. I even wore a white shirt so I could shout 'look to the white shirt' at her to get an eyeline.
"Madonna, could you come over to your right a bit?"
"Madonna, could you step away from the wall a bit?"
"Madonna, could you look this way please?"
Each time I spoke she'd hear me, we'd make eye contact, and she'd do as I asked.

Then every time I put the camera to my eye, she looked away!
I've got a great set of Madonna looking up, down, left and right at all the other snappers sat around me - but not one clean 'down the barrel' shot.
That'll teach me to keep my big gob shut in future.

The Rolling Stones were there too, and true to form Keith was pie-eyed. That's not just group bonhomie in the picture, it's the rest of the band holding him up.

No comments: