21 July 2009

I don't like cricket-ah...

...or so the song goes. Actually, it's not that I don't like it, I've just never understood it (I've tried, believe me, it's just not in me to be interested). So having to do a shoot with Paul Collingwood at the Oval, the day after England had spanked the Aussies's in the first test meant absolutely nothing to me. Not so the assembled journo's who were all desperately trying to get him to slag off the opposition. Paul seemed like a genuine chap, and I admired how he resoluteley refused to get drawn into saying anything untoward. As he pointed out, most of the Aussie team play county cricket, and outside the tests were his colleagues and mates. When accused of being England's 'chief sledger', he sensibly said that banter and winding players up have always been part of any sport, and it'd be a poorer game without it. Here's to the piss-takers!

No comments: