14 July 2008

Ford Fiesta - Love Factory




I know us photographers get pigeonholed quite narrowly, but I'm in danger of becoming the 'guy with a good head for heights:
Hot on the heels of my scaffold clambering, and entirely unrelated, I was booked to do a shoot of the Ford Fiesta factory in Cologne, Germany - part of which was being wrapped to rebrand it as 'the Love Factory' to celebrate the latest Fiesta launch. The part of the factory that was being wrapped faced the Rhine, and the only way to get a clear shot of it was from the air.
Cue helicopter, with the side door taken off.
I was more excited than nervous, even when we were airborne. I was pretty well strapped in, but when my foot strayed out of the open side it was whipped away by the wind with such force that I made a mental note not to lean out too much. To be honest I was busy concentrating on doing the job properly and overcoming the technical problems of focusing/framing whilst moving, and counteracting the vibrations of the helicopter - not to mention trying to avoid dropping anything out of the door!
Back on the ground, we had Ford's own Fire Brigade (dedicated just to the factory) help us get some closer shots, using their ladder truck. Another opportunity to dangle around in mid-air, AND I got to wear a fireman's belt - with axe and everything! (It's true about us boys never growing up).

One of the things I love about this job is the opportunities it gives me to go places and do things I otherwise might never get the chance to. So, thanks to Clive at Cake for letting me tick off 'helicopter' and 'fire engine' from my list of things to do before I die.
In one day he's made two of my boyhood dreams come true. Cheers.

No comments: