15 June 2008

Isle of Wight festival



I was working for Carling at the Isle of Wight festival. Unfortunately, my brief there didn't require me to cover the stages so I had no press access. The Carling area, which was outside the main arena, closed between 5-10pm each night, so I thought I'd be able to relax and enjoy a festival as a punter for a change.
But I came to realise that I'm not very good at separating work from pleasure when I've got a camera in my hand. I found it really frustrating watching bands and not being able to photograph them. Maybe it was compounded by the fact that there wasn't anyone on the line-up (Sex Pistols excepted) I really wanted to take time out and see.
The pics above are of The Wombats, who played a secret gig for competition winners in the back of a Carling articulated freezer truck! And John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols - taken on a 300mm ƒ2.8 lens from the middle of a heaving mosh pit!

No comments: