18 March 2008

The Wonder that is Terminal 5

Two weeks before Heathrow Terminal 5 was due to be opened, I was booked to photograph Penny Lancaster there, as the 'face of World Duty Free'.
I couldn't take an assistant on the day because they couldn't get clearance in time, so I lugged all my cameras, lights, stands etc from pillar to post while we checked in with site security, then terminal security and finally departures security. Even though the terminal wasn't open, we had to go through the scanners as if were flying - and of course all the equipment had to be unpacked and checked.
Finally, we got to the duty free concourse where the shoot was taking place - only to find that there were no publicly accessible power points! Doh!
Bearing in mind that Penny is a photographer herself, I must have looked really professional setting up my little AA battery powered 35mm flash-gun on a stand, and having to wait in between shots for the batteries to re-charge!
But that's part of the challenge, being able to think on your feet and make the best of a given situation. I think I got away with it. Just.

No comments: